Monday, April 11, 2011

Back from the Momon River - Hen Hen Village

Hey Guys,

Greetings from Iquitos, Peru, land of rice, chicken, mosquitos, and sweat!!! I had an amazing week last week that ended in a river outreach. I´d like to fill you guys in on what happened. So here we go, We packed thursday and headed out friday at 11 am, With jeans, rubber boots, shirt, and baseball cap, all the guys and I loaded up the bus from the 70´s with all the suitcases. Let´s just say we all knew whose bags were the girls and who the guys were. It was a 2 day trip and the girls brought i think maybe half their wardrobe along with tent-hammock, sleeping bag, and a pad... The guys we could throw up on the roof with ease, majority with one hand, the girls... well a crain (sp?) would be nice... Anyways, we unloaded the bus and loaded up the boat and took the boat down river 2 hrs. It was everything I day dreamed about and more, I loved it. We went through little passage ways in like two feet of water, then to a big part of the river, all the way it was like a big swamp wit some big clearings where you could tell the river was deeper. It was just incredible, and the farther we went down, the more interesting it got. The more we traveled down river, the more interesting it got. I saw a villager flash us, I didn´t look twice so I didn´t feel bad... It was so different, and new, and exciting. We got there and were greeted by smiles and hugs and kisses (something Im starting to get used to I guess...;-) and we tood all our gear about a mile inland to a village. The people were so awesome, very unique, they were happy, a little smelly and dirty, but I just got filled up with a love for them. A deep need in me to just minister to them in whatever way I could. I had a gang of some village boys following me around. They were laughing at my low voice, and we all had a blast. THey gave me coconuts and we all drank coconut juice, and laughed and had a blast. I was also filled up with a boldness I had never experienced before. I wanted so badly when we went door to door to invite people to our program first for kids, then for adults that afternoon, to pray for them. I had a desire for them to be touched by God in a unique way, and nothing else. My prayer is that I not feel for poor people in a hut in the jungle, but I pray boldly for people in mansions in DFW. It always blows me away how happy the people are, how entertained they can get and how they are so welcoming and inviting. Yes they have problems, just like I and you do, but the way of life there is so simple, its just good. I see both sides to the different lifestyles, but enough of that. I got to meet an indigenous people group there, the Alama tribe, and was honored to pray for the chief. They put on a song and dance, which I figured they would, normally they wear clothes like you nad me, well, a lot more dirty and older, but hopefully your picking up what Im putting down... It was just awesome to minister to the people of Hen Hen, the kids, adults, Iwas filled up with a boldness and I pray it lasts, everywhere I go. Well I gotta get going but hopefully I painted a picture for you. Oh yeah, I held a toucan, like the fruit loops bird, and got to experience some just incredible things. I gotta run, I love everyone of you and I pray that the Lord uses you in some incredible ways this week yourselves in your own lives.

God Bless,

George Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment